<$BlogRSDUrl$>

 

Links
Homepage

My Blog


 

Collection of Stories

Send Me Email or visit My Homepage
The beginnings of my collection of stories

 

Friday, December 05, 2003

From Steves Blog

... earlier today, I lost my job.

I woke up this morning to see 2 feet of freshly fallen snow outside my window. My first thought? "Shit... I have to shovel this crap". My girlfriend is away visiting her parents in Ontario and I told her she would be wise to leave her car at my place in case "we got 3 feet of snow overnight", I believe my exact words were. My original comment was made only in jest, but leave it to me to be a psychic this time. I was due at work at 9AM, but couldn't go in until I got the car shoveled out and moved to another section of the parking lot so the plow could get in and plow all the apartment buildings.

I could have done what most people would have done and just called in for the day, but I decided that I was going to make it in eventually - Johnny Dedicated, I am. Around 1PM, we finally got shoveled out and I took my carcass off to work. I stroll in the front doors with an old agent of mine and am immediately stopped by security. "Are you Steve?", the security guard asked - knowing full well who I was. I kept walking in and was subsequently told that I couldn't go any further because our HR director was waiting to see me. Our HR director is a lady that I have an incredible amount of respect for and like quite a great deal on a personal level, but I wasn't stupid. Being stopped at the main entrance and being told to go see her right away for a "meeting" meant only one thing...

I was getting fired.

I made my way to her office and sat in a chair I had sat in many times before. I immediately looked and asked if I was in trouble, and just the expression on her face said it all. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I would be joining the ranks of the unemployed very soon. In walked the man who would be doing my termination, but we'll get to him later... first a bit of back story.

In October of 2001, I joined the company as a wide-eyed, optimistic lad with nothing but hopes of good things for the future. I was a tech support agent with the company servicing an internet service provider until December of 2001, when I got promoted to the position that I held until 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon. In my 2 years in my position as a supervisor, I had seen many things within the company - tales that would amaze and astonish - but always showed up every day to my job and did the best job I could. In the beginning, I loved my job. I couldn't wait to get there every night and learn something new. A large part of my job entailed me interacting with a team of 25 to 30 people on a daily basis and trying to make their lives in the workplace environment as comfortable as possible. I not only wanted to be a great supervisor for my agents, it almost became an obsession at times. I wanted to be the type of boss that I would like to work for.

In my first year as supervisor, the agents were polled and asked to rank the performance of their managers in several key areas. I was elated to find out that I scored near the top in every category. My teams were happy and well adjusted - regardless of the inter-office politics and constant changes, and I tried to make them subscribe to the idea that "your job is not your life... it's simply what you do to enjoy your life outside these doors". Maybe their job was a bad situation sometimes, but I always tried to get them to make the best of it. My motto? "If you have to be here, at least try to have a bit of fun". It worked...

In my two years with the company, I had seen some ridiculous things. It was, at times, a ship without a rudder and a sinking ship, at that. A company that would bring the management staff into an office on a Thursday to tell them that 6 people would be fired on Monday... but to enjoy the weekend. A place whose idea of a team building exercise was duct taping 5 supervisors together, blindfolding them, and making them maneuver down a hallway to pick up a margarine container and a construction paper cone. A company that caused a grown man, after 2 days in an upper management role, to say "you people are fuckin' crazy, I'm outta here!". A company that has 60% of its management staff regularly surfing the job opportunity websites. A company who disciplines its employees for having to leave the workplace on short notice... in an ambulance. This is a company who rewards its supervisors for all their hard work and dedication during trying times by giving them a piece of paper (printed in dazzling color on a printer in the basement, I might add) dubbed the "Thanks a Million Award" - which I promptly threw in the nearest waste receptacle. I wish I had it now... I'm running low on toilet paper. This is a company that I would be very confident in saying that has 85% of the workforce not wanting to be there. A company that has to find new and innovative ways to get their people to just come to work, and when they fail at doing that, they just bring back the old people they fired already.

This was my job. There were mornings I would lie in bed and think of ways that I could incapacitate myself just so that I could avoid going there. Slip in the shower? Scald myself with the kettle? Poke my eyes out with a Pop-Tart? It was my job to go in and motivate all these great people on my teams that I was responsible for, but it's a very difficult thing to do when you have to dig deep to find reasons to be motivated yourself. I would have to sit and listen to the stories of agents who had all the same concerns and frustrations that I did - but try to convince them that things would get better... never thinking myself that they actually would. The job I was filled with excitement about when I first started now became a source of frustration for me, and I grew to hate it. It paid my bills, though, so I did it - and did it with a smile on my face.

So I sat in the office today and listened to this man who was my boss for the last three months prattle on about why they were firing me. The funny thing is, this was the first time he had ever addressed me personally. I just kept thinking that he probably didn't even know my name without looking at the paper in front of him. Now are you ready for the kicker?

I got fired for writing in this blog.

Last Thursday, the U.S. Thanksgiving Holiday, I spent a fair amount of time working on this new page at work. All my work was done and I had a bare bones crew in that day. I spent a couple of hours moving things here and there on the site, and that was their reason. I mentioned how I hadn't taken an hour lunch break more than 2 dozen times in 2 years... he wouldn't hear of it. I mentioned how I had been doing it since I started it in June of 2002... he wouldn't hear of it. "Misuse of network", I was told. Jesus... if they were going to fire me, they'd better get rid of everyone else in the building because I doubt there's one person there who hasn't gone to a "non-work related" website during their stay.

I stated my case half heartedly to my kangaroo court because I knew that, no matter what I said, I was being shown the door. At the risk of offending some, I was waiting for my crown of thorns and the spear in my side because I'll be damned if I wasn't getting crucified. I was waiting for Pontius Pilate to walk in the door any second.

So I took my termination papers from the man who knew nothing about me and made my way to the door, saying goodbye to the one or two people I saw on my way out on the walk of shame. I took great comfort in the fact that I knew all my valuables were going to be thrown into a cardboard box and mailed to me, if I so desired. Thankfully, a friend picked them up and delivered them to me tonight. Classy operation. On my way out, I thought about a group meeting we had with a very nice gentleman from the corporate offices about a week ago who wanted to hear our concerns regarding the company. Against my better judgment, I told him everything that was on my mind at the time and I was met with a surprising amount of concern. He considered my ideas to be bold and honest, and appreciated my open speaking with him. It kind of made me wonder if I rubbed someone's rhubarb the wrong way.

So that was it... my termination. It was about as eventful as my last bowel movement. No fanfare, no fireworks, just a few grunts and the machine quietly getting rid of something it didn't need anymore. I spent most of my evening answering questions via MSN messenger and explaining to people that "yes, I am indeed, fired". To make matters easier, I changed my nickname to "The Answer - Steve. The question, "What is Who got fired today, Alex?" That tipped a few people off.

Which leaves me with the aftermath.

How do I feel? Somewhat pissed off... mostly relieved.

What am I going to do? Enjoy my Christmas.

Where do I go from here? I'll find another job... and this time it will be one that I enjoy. No longer will I work for someone that I have no faith in. Many of those with my former company could have managerial experience out the ying yang, but they had the people skills of a jar of toenail clippings.

Where am I gonna go? Disneyland... if I win the lottery.

Ya know, it's funny. I can almost pinpoint the turn in my mood to a day not so long ago. A certain individual left the company to take another position elsewhere. I always liked the guy and had the utmost faith in his abilities... when he left, something else left too. I just can't put my finger on it. Maybe I just bought into his constant smile and his ability to make his job look easy, who knows?

So, why did I write this? I just wanted the people I worked with to know my side of the story. There were many rumors floating around the building, including the most interesting one of my being caught "getting it on" with someone in one of the training rooms. Unfortunately, no. I also wanted to have the opportunity to say goodbye to everyone there.

So Shirley, Brenda, Angela, Cory, Barb, Lois, Lynn B and C, Mary, the Amanda B and W, Linda, Jen, Joey, Dave, Darlene, Norma, Allan, Doreen, Jack, Lisa, Steve, Sindy, Melvin, Nancy, Sheldon, and Tommy - and anyone else who has ever been on my team at any point, thanks for making my job enjoyable for me.

To any supervisors I have ever worked alongside - my HR buddy, The Hitman, Kamala, Aunt Bird, Stallion, Smiley, and the countless others I had no nicknames for...thanks for being great co-workers and friends. To Charlie's Angels on the first floor, you guys are the best. To quality - be AWARE. To the guys on the first floor behind the monitors, I'll miss our chats. To the underappreciated mentors, I know how hard your job is - you were always appreciated by me. To Shaft... don't let the man bring you down - you're too good for that place. By the way, sorry about the PEI tourist bureau thing... =)

Of all the things I'll miss, the thing I will miss most is the cafeteria's chicken noodle soup.

Of all the things I won't miss, the one I won't miss the most is the never-ending stream of bullshit that never seemed to end.

To all the folks who made my stay there a pleasurable one, I'll see you all soon.

To those who didn't... one word - karma.

Like Milton from the movie, Office Space, the one thing I have left to show for my 2 years is my shiny red Swingline stapler. How fitting... Now if you'll excuse me, I have some sleeping in to do tomorrow.

Take care, all
Please leave your comments also 0

 

Comments: Post a Comment

 

Creater: Joe Earhart
Email: LeeEeeMuR@msn.com

 

By the way get your ass to my website

http://kickme.to/jee